Congratulations to Terry Bearpark, the vice-chairman of the Coastguard Association, who was presented with his 40 year bar by MCA CEO Sir Alan Massey Thursday 12th November.
The presentation took place at Dunedin Country House in Patrington, East Yorkshire and was attended by members of Withernsea Coastguard, Mike Bill and Fran Wilkins of Humber Coastguard and Stuart Arundel (CGA Chair), Alan Fisher (CGA Treasurer) and Paul Davig (CGA Almoner).
Terry started as an Auxiliary Coastguard at Humber MRSC when it was based at Kilnsea, he then moved to Spurn Point in 1975 as a channel 16 radio operator. In the 80s in transferred to Withernsea CG after Humber CG moved to Bridlington.
Terry was also awarded Chief Coastguard’s Commendation in the early 90s.
Terry is a founder member of Humber Coastguard Association which started about 40 years ago and has been their Chairman for many years, we are also delighted to say that he is a founder member of the National Coastguard Association too, and has given us around 40 years of service too – as in 2016 we celebrate 40 years of the CGA.
During his time in service Terry has been involved in numerous rescues and searches.
Photos kindly provided by: Peter Harbour
The National Coastguard Association is proud to have a number of branch associations based all around the UK.
We are in the processing of updating up web site and compelling a list of all the branch associations web sites and contact details. If your local branch does not feature below, please contact with details of the Branch, current facebook and web address, postal address for correspondence and an email address. Many thanks.
HM Coastguard is the national category 1 emergency service responsible for the initiation and co-ordination of all maritime search and rescue (SAR) within the UK Maritime Search and Rescue Region. This includes the mobilisation, organisation and tasking of adequate resources to respond to persons either in distress at sea, or to persons at risk of injury or death on the cliffs or shoreline of the United Kingdom. It is also responsible for all land-based search and rescue helicopter operations across the UK.
Every minute of every hour of every day, over 300 Coastguard Rescue Teams remain on call across the UK to respond to those in need at sea, along the coast and further afield. These teams are made up of specially trained Coastguard Rescue Officers who volunteer to join HM Coastguard, leaving their families, friends, full-time occupations and putting plans on hold when the pager sounds. Coastguard Rescue Teams are specially trained and equipped in a wide range of search and rescue disciplines including water and flood rescue, lost and missing person search, technical rope rescue, mud rescue, critical casualty care, 4×4 off road driving and much more.
The Coastguard Rescue Teams are tasked and coordinated by the highly trained full-time staff within the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centres across the UK who answer 999 calls, respond to mayday radio transmissions and bring these emergency incidents to a safe conclusion using the resources available to them including Coastguard Rescue Teams, full-time senior coastal officers, lifeboats (RNLI and independent) and search and rescue aircraft.
And while these dedicated people are helping save lives across the country, The Coastguard Association is the charity dedicated to help them in their time of need.
To make it easier to find the correct person to help with your query please view below the key responsibilities of the National Committee and their contact details:
- To ensure the smooth running of the Coastguard Association and to give advice to all Branches, regarding welfare and financial needs.
- To ensure the committee fulfils the aims set out by the constitution and acts in the interest of its members.
- To liaise closely with all National Committee members, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Almoner, Secretary for Retired Officers, Public Relations Officer and Central Branch Secretary.
Name: Stuart Arundel
Telephone: 01507 358446 / 07963785981 – If Important PLEASE ring as emails are not always answered quickly
Address: Highfield Lodge, Bank End, North Somercotes, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 7LJ
- To support the Chairman with the smooth running of the Association and stand in when he is unavailable.
- To ensure the Charity Commissioners are informed of any Committee changes or Trustee changes annually
- To help retired members to retain links with their colleagues.
Name: Terry Bearpark
Telephone: 01964 751435
- Take charge of the funds of the Association, including renewal of the affiliation fees. Receiving all sums of money paid in and paying out such money as is properly authorised by the committee.
- Report the state of the Association finances at committee meetings.
- To receipt any money donated to the Coastguard Association, and to write letters of thanks to those who donate money to the National Charity Account.
Name: Steve Brooks
Telephone: 07831 140385
Address: Brayfield; Willerton Road; North Somercotes; LN11 7NH
National Secretary/Central Branch Secretary
- To assist the Chairman with the development of the CGA and answer any questions or problems that occur within the CGA.
- Prepare the Agenda for the AGM, after consulting with the Committee and branches; perform such duties as the Committee may from time to time decide.
- Receive and report to the Committee all applications for membership, the current numbers of members and any other related matters he considers should be brought to the Committees attention.
- To deal with any correspondence as required.
Name: Joanna Howard
- To deal with all claims of hardship, poverty, illness which are reported to the CGA and decide if claim is warranted and falls within the charity commission rules.
- The contact for bereaved families, and send condolences on behalf of the Coastguard Association.
- The contact those who require the assistance of the Coastguard Association in the form of grants and loans.
Name: Paul Davig
Telephone: 07504 971829
Digital Operations & Engagement
- To manage The Coastguard Association website.
- To develop and manage The Coastguard Association’s social media and communications strategy.
- To develop and manage The Coastguard Association’s digital presence.
- To develop and support The Coastguard Association’s ICT and digital infrastructure.
- To develop and maintain a positive image for The Coastguard Association.
- To develop and maintain relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- To improve communications with existing and potential Coastguard Association members & stakeholders.
Name: Matt Cox
Telephone: 07807 790665
The official digital publication of the Coastguard Association – produced quarterly.
Name: Kevin Paterson
Telephone: 07889 816772
Our trustees as to be published on the Charity Commission Web Site are:
MR TERRY BEARPARK
MR PAUL DAVIG
MR CHRIS O’REAGAN
MR STUART ARUNDEL
MISS JOANNA HOWARD