Lepe Coastguard 1893

Lepe-old-map

A coastguard station was built on the Lepe Estate to combat the smuggling activities in the region shortly after the modern-day Coastguard was formed in 1822. Completed in 1828, the Coastguard Cottages (Grade II listed) and the Watch House remain largely unchanged today. These appear in  C and J Greenwoods 1826 map of Hampshire and are clearly shown below in the 1871 Ordnance Survey map of the area. The commander of the first crew appointed as coastguards was Lieutenant Hodge.

In 1800s after years of smuggling in the area, the Coast Guard Cottages and Watch House were built, housing the Preventative Officers and their boat. Soon after Billy Coombes, the captain of a smuggling ship, was captured and hanged at Stone Point.

Share