Here is a picture of the Leigh on Sea Coastguard Station viewed from the east
The village of Leigh was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as “Legra”, a small fishing hamlet. Due to its good position on the shipping route to London, it began to grow and by the 16th century had become a fairly large and prosperous port. Ships of up to 340 tons are recorded as being built in Leigh, including many that would have been built for the local fishing fleets. With its location at the mouth of the Thames, Leigh was often used by the navy against threats from pirates and the French, Spanish and Dutch Navies.
By the 18th century ships had become larger and trade changed. At this time Leigh’s deep water channel silted up and the importance of the town diminished. It then gradually reverted to a fishing village, supplying the London market by road and barge.
The small building in the distance is still there and it used to be a sailimakers workshop. It isnow is a local Foreshore Office for Leigh.