The Coastguard Station situated at Gibraltar Point, about four miles from Skegness, went under the hammer at the Lion Hotel, Skegness, in 1926.
The auction, carried out by Messers George Dunkley, was ordered by the Admiralty, after the station disbanded a short while before.
The property comprised a brick and slated bungalow with a look-out tower, two bedrooms, sitting room, etc, standing on approximately half-an-acre of land encloded by a brick wall. The property was leasehold for a term of 99 years from 1859, and was offered with immediate vacant possession.
The auctioneer highlighed a few advantages to the property – wildfowl shooting, boating and fishing facilities in the vicinity, and suggested that the buyer might make a living by killing seals on the nearby sandbanks, ten shillings being the going price for the nose of a seal.
Starting at £100, the property slowly advanced until it reached the final purchase price of £520, offered by Mr F Pegler of Villa Marina Seacroft and Retford.