Corton had its Beach Company, whose purpose was to procure wrecks and wreckage for salvage. Their hut was on the beach near Locum Hole an inconvenient pleace in some ways, for most of the company would have lived in the village. However its close proximity to the lifeboat shed must have been significant and this site between Corton and Lowestoft would have aided the close working relationship what appears to have existed between the Corton Company and the Lowestoft North Roads beachmen.
The names of Corton men, presumably members of the beach company or at least activiely involved in salvage, appear in the Yarmouth Admiralty court list of salvaged goods from 1765 onwards.
From 1869 to 1879 Corton also possessed a lifeboat, The “Husband”, a fourteen oar Norfolk type boat, 36 feet by 10.5 feet, built by Messrs.
The lifeboat station was originally established at Corton after a request by Mr WR Archer on behalf of the Lowestoft Beachmen at a cost of £620 from MRS George Davis of Clapham in memory of her late husband.
An Apparatus was invented in 1808 by Captain George Manby, barrack master at Yarmouth and was successfully used by Lt Woodger from the cliffs between Corton and Hopton on 20th jan 1814.
Corton had its own rocket station from as early as 1848 with a volunteer crew, at the begining of this century, of about twenty, as well as four full time Coastguards. The Coastguards lived in cottages, specially built for them in 1876 by jeremiah Colman, in the street just south of Tibbenhams score, and their boat was kept on a slipway at the foot of the score. Their lookout, a rustic looking building, was on the cliff just North of Tibbenhams score, just above the slipway, but this was later replaced by a new one about 100 yards further south.